Princess Garden Of Mayfair, W1K 6ZD
- 020 7493 3223
- 8-10 North Audley Street, W1K 6ZD
- noon-4pm, 6pm-midnight Mon-Fri; noon-4:30pm, 6pm-midnight Sat; noon-4:30pm, 6pm-11pm Sun (last orders 15 minutes before closing)
Upscale Cantonese restaurant in Mayfair.
Entry is into a bar area which the Time Out review linked below aptly describes as being reminiscent of an airport lounge (albeit a first-class one). From here, along a short corridor lined with Chinese art, is the dining area. This comprises a light, open, if somewhat boxy room, situated as it is on the corner of a block, with large tinted glass windows separating it from the street. Tables are widely-spaced and clothed in white linen photo.
Cold starters of drunken chicken and five-spiced beef photo were both pretty good. Steamed mashed pork with dried squid (土魷馬碲蒸肉餅/gān yóu mǎ tí zhēng ròu bǐng) photo, while not obviously tasting of dried squid, was juicy and savoury.
A whole steamed seabass with ginger and spring onions photo was competently deboned and steamed perfectly, though Les noted that it tasted more farmed than wild (it was described as wild on the menu). E-fu noodles with crab meat photo had a perfect texture and a generous quantity of crab meat.
The only real disappointment of the meal was the pork casserole with preserved vegetables (梅菜扣肉煲) photo; the meat here was insufficiently tender. Quick fried egg white with chives (蛋白炒韭菜/dàn bái chǎo jiǔ cài) photo was also not as good as the rest of the dishes, being a little greasier than optimal.
Overall, though, the quality of the food was rather good; we all agreed that we'd happily return (and in fact some of us have since, while others of us had already eaten there before). Kake, who isn't usually a noodle fan, would come back just for the e-fu noodles.
Accessibility: No step to get in, and step-free through to the dining area, but the toilets are down a flight of stairs with a couple of bends and a handrail most of the way.
- Time Out review
- Andy Hayler's review
- A Rather Unusual Chinaman review (dim sum)
- Cheese And Biscuits review (dim sum)
- Dos Hermanos review (dim sum)
- Eat Noodles Love Noodles review (dinner on the same occasion as in our writeup above, plus dim sum on another occasion)
- London Insider review (dim sum)
- Marina O'Loughlin's review (dim sum)
- Passport Delicious review (dim sum)
- The Skinny Bib review (dim sum) (scroll down)
- Tamarind And Thyme review (dim sum)