Randomness Guide to London - Differences between Version 9 and Version 2 of Locale Canning Town
|Version 9||Version 2|
|== Line 1 ==||== Line 0 ==|
|An area of [[Locale East London|East London]] in the London Borough of Newham.
<summary name="Canning Town"></summary>
Canning Town dates from the 19th century; prior to this, the area was all marshland. Development of the area was triggered by a number of factors:
* the building of the railway link from [[Locale Stratford|Stratford]] to North Woolwich (now part of [[Locale Silvertown|Silvertown]])
* the arrival of the "undesirable" industries that were forced out of the more central areas of London by the Metropolitan Buildings Act of 1844
* the building of the Royal Victoria Docks in 1855
* the housing built for the people who moved into the area in pursuit of employment.
Slum clearance - [http://apps.newham.gov.uk/History_canningtown/cdickens.htm none of this housing was particularly wonderful] - in the first half of the 20th century along with the devastation caused by WWII bombing led to the construction of a large amount of council housing (perhaps most notably the Keir Hardie Estate).
The overground railway no longer goes as far as Canning Town, but links to the rest of London are provided by the [[Category Jubilee Line|Jubilee Line]], the [[Category DLR|DLR]], and a decently connected bus station at [[Canning Town Station]], plus additional DLR stations (on the [[Beckton Station|Beckton]] branch).
At the time of writing (June 2008), Canning Town is [http://www.newham.gov.uk/Services/RegenerationProjects/AboutUs/canningtownandcustomhouse.htm undergoing regeneration] as part of the Thames Gateway regeneration scheme.
* [http://apps.newham.gov.uk/History_canningtown/index.htm Canning Town Then and Now]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Town Wikipedia entry]
Auto-generated list of things in Canning Town (@MAP_LINK [[Locale Canning Town|view them on a map]]):
|The following list is automatically generated:
|== Line 2 ==|
@MAP_LINK [[Locale Canning Town]]
|== Line 24 ==|
|== Line 30 ==||== Line 9 ==|
|== Line 32 ==|
|== Line 16 ==||== Line 16 ==|
|summary='' summary='An area of East London in the London Borough of Newham.'||summary='' summary='An area of East London in the London Borough of Newham.'|
The following list is automatically generated: (unprocessed INDEX_LIST macro) View map of pages in Locale Canning Town
List all versions