Nivla Restaurant, SE5 0EZ
- 020 3490 4918
- 51 Camberwell Road, SE5 0EZ
- Mon-Wed 12pm-11.30pm, Thurs-Sat 12pm-1am, Sun 2pm-10.30pm
Sierra Leonean restaurant in Camberwell, on Camberwell Road near where it becomes Walworth Road. They also do takeaway.
secretlondon visited for a takeaway in June 2010. I had the weekend special of bitter leaves, beef, and dried fish, with rice (£8). It was hotter than I expected, but I know nothing about Sierra Leonean food. I've been back a few times since and tried dishes including jerk chicken and jollof rice with chicken. The meat I've had from here wasn't offal, unlike the "mixed meat" I had at Moyo-Ma (another West African restaurant just down the road).
They have a number of daily specials and sell home made ginger beer (which I've not sampled). They are also licensed. I've had an akara bean doughnut starter (£2) photo which was fun. They had a cinnamon flavour which contrasted with a spicy tomato sauce.
A visitor called Camberwellian adds: An excellent restaurant with genuinely warm and friendly service. I've had:
- Cassava leaves with mixed beef and dried fish - this was perfect. It came with fufu and was expertly flavoured.
- Grilled sea bass with plantain and veg - flavour was amazing but let down slightly because not all the fish scales had been removed properly.
- Suya - delicious
- Grilled gizzard - succulent and tasty
- Jollof rice and stew meat - rich flavour but subtle compared to Nigerian equivalent at Canaan. Less greasy and spicy than Canaan which is a good thing but sometimes I'm in the mood for greasy and spicy!