- 399 Edgware Road
Oriental City was a large South-East Asian mall and community centre in North London, reasonably close to Colindale Station. It closed for redevelopment on 1 June 2008, though for some years no progress was made towards this redevelopment, and former tenants held a protest in February 2010 over the continued closure of the site.
As of March 2012, dimsum.co.uk reports that Development Securities, the owners of the site, have made an agreement with the Morrisons supermarket chain, which will hopefully include regeneration of the site and the return of Asian businesses.
Below is a partial list of where the Oriental City traders have moved to; please let us know if you know of any others. See also our list of places we've reviewed that used to be in Oriental City before it closed.
- China City (restaurant upstairs) is moving to the Wing Yip at Staples Corner/Cricklewood, according to a comment on dimsum.co.uk. They also have other branches at Leicester Square and at Russell Square
- Hamazaki Bakery was going to reopen at 82 Totteridge Lane, N20 8QG, near Totteridge and Whetstone Station, according to Wikipedia. However, when Kake went for a look in September 2010, this address appeared to be a residential one, and the shop below it was a newsagents.
- The jewellery shop has moved to 8-10 Princess Arcade, SW1Y 6DS, according to a comment on dimsum.co.uk.
- Koreana moved to Koreana, HA3 5QH, but has now either moved on again or closed for good.
- Lemongrass (Malaysian stall) has been renamed to The Malaysian Restaurant and has moved to 100 High Street, Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire, MK11 1AH. Phone 01908 260 026, fax 01908 260 024, opening hours 10:30am-10:30pm Mon-Sat, 11:30am-10:30pm Sun, from Monday 9 February 2009 — thanks Su-Lin!
- MODA Hair Studio has moved to Wing Yip Business Centre in Cricklewood.
- Oriental City Supermarket moved to Oriental City Supermarket, W2 3RX, but closed and turned into a Costcutter in late 2009.
- Oriental Garden, the Chinese-Malaysian stall nearest the toilet/exit in the food court, has moved to Feringgi Bay, NW9 6LU.
- Puji Puji Satay, the Malaysian stall from the carpark, has moved to Puji Puji, N1 4AE.
- The roti stall was relocated in early 2009 as TasteMalaysia, 32 High Road, Willesden Green, NW10 2QD. However, there were lease problems with the landlord, and they had to close again. They did a short stint at Java Stop near Waterloo Station, but this was a time-limited promotion and they later moved on. As of November 2011, a commenter on this page told us that they had changed their name to Roti Stall and moved to East Ham Market Hall, Myrtle Road, E6 1HY. However they later moved again; according to Su-Lin, as of March 2013 they're called Roti King and are on Charing Cross Road (see Hollow Legs review).
- Royal Lido, one of the dim sum places in the food court, has reopened as Taste Of China, 172-174 Station Road, Harrow, HA1 2RH according to a comment on dimsum.co.uk.
- The chef from Shangri-La Hunan Cuisine (restaurant upstairs) has moved to Local Friends, 28 North End Road, NW11 7PT, according to a comment on Chowhound and to a commenter on this page, who adds: "The food is the same as before and the quality maintained."
- Utsuwa-No-Yakata (the Japanese crockery shop) rebranded to Doki Limited and moved to Pacific Plaza; when Pacific Plaza closed, it moved again to 207 High Road, Harrow Weald, HA3 5EE.
- Wonderful Patisserie has moved to Wonderful Patisserie, NW9 6LH (they also have a branch on Gerrard Street).
- Yummy Yummy Thai from the food court moved to Yummy Tai Chi, HA6 1LU, but closed some time around the end of 2009. According to a comment on Flickr, the staff intended to move on to run a juice bar in Pacific Plaza, but we're not sure whether this actually happened before Pacific Plaza closed.
- the durian stall
- Yong Tofu
- "the lovely nic nac kitchen shop with the lady from Singapore"
- Zen (the Japanese one, not the Chinese place called Zen Tian Di/Zen CX) reopened as Shan in the Pacific Plaza food court, but we don't know where they went after Pacific Plaza closed.
- Zen Tian Di (Zen CX), the Chinese buffet place with the crab legs.
Moved before the closure:
- Minamoto Kitchoan moved from Oriental City some time before the closure, and is well-established at Minamoto Kitchoan, W1J 0DS.
The info below is retained for people who want to know what Oriental City used to be like.
The (covered) food court on the ground floor is a proper food court, with stalls arranged around the edges, and chairs and tables in the middle. You can have Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Malaysian, Indian, you name it. Select your favourite dishes from as many stalls as you like, and collect them when your number comes up.
Specific recommendations: there are two dim sum places, and the one that's called "Dim Sum House" has a better selection than the other, the "Royal Lido". (Although their "Shanghai style" pork dumplings are not in fact soup dumplings; my quest continues. --Kake)
- The food court, of course!
- Other food places, including a cafe that does bubble tea, and a sushi bar.
- The Japanese crockery shop.
- The Japanese supermarket — all kinds of interesting vegetables, sushi-grade fish, meats, noodles, rice, spices, oils, vinegars, exciting things in packets.
- The durian shop. Located outside the main building, for reasons that will be obvious to anyone who's ever come within smelling distance of durian.
Colindale Station is closest; Burnt Oak Station is also within walking distance, but as it's one stop further out than Colindale it's probably less useful. If you're driving, it's worth knowing that they have a free car park.
Other people's writeups, news reports, etc:
- Oriental City group on Flickr
- Diamond Geezer's writeup (May 2008, has more links at the bottom)
- Announcement of closure (June 2007)
- Meemalee's retrospective Oriental City roundup (published post-closure)
Comment added by chewie: I do really miss Oriental City. Any chance of them opening the food court section? Wishful thinking. I do miss Malaysian food. My friend recently informed me that there is a new Malaysian restaurant called Malay Chinese Restaurant in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire.
Comment added by Silent Hunter: Worth mentioning that this site was a key filming location for a BBC/RSC TV production of 'Julius Caesar' aired in 2012.