Daunt Books, EC2V 6AX
- 020 7248 1117
- 61 Cheapside, EC2V 6AX
- 8am-7:30pm Mon-Fri; 10am-6pm Sat; 11am-5pm Sun
Like the other Daunt bookshops, this one specialises in travel books, with most of the basement level given over to books relating to different areas of the world; each of these sections houses both fiction and non-fiction relevant to that area. However, they also stock fiction and various other non-fiction topics.
On a May 2011 visit, Kake checked out the:
- Science fiction section (in the basement) — small (a single narrow seven-shelf bookcase) but well-varied.
- China section (in the basement) — mostly fiction set in China and/or written by Chinese authors, but also a small selection of guides to Hong Kong and Macau (no non-fiction about the mainland though).
- Cookery section (on the ground floor) — pretty good, including classic authors such as Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson as well as celebrity chef cookbooks and a decent selection of books relating to the different cuisines of the world (e.g. Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan Cookery).
- London section (on the ground floor) — reasonably sized and well-varied.
Accessibility: A small ramp to get in. About half of the stock is in the basement, down a flight of stairs with bends but a handrail all the way down.